Saturday, January 17, 2009

On Life

I was having a thought the other day about a particular style of writing in which you cover the majority of the span of a persons life by focusing in on very important moments, and kind of summarizing the in between parts. I was thinking to myself, why is it that our lives can't actually go by like this. Then I remembered that for the most part they do.
Think back over your life, what do you remember? Do you remember that you took a bath instead of a shower on June 2 1992? Probably not, don't ask me how I know.
More likely you remember the important parts, your first kiss, a great date, your first day at a new school, when you aced that science project on which you had worked so hard...
But in the meantime, we still have to live the everyday time, most of which we generally spend looking forward to the moments we anticipate remembering. Most of them we forget.
I recently found an old diary from when I was about fourteen/fifteen years old. Need I say more? But I will. I found in those pages the undue sense of drama characteristic of early adolescence. Everything was a big deal. He smiled at me, I know it means true love. Ha! Take that teenage self.
And what will I think of myself in another decade when I look back on my twenties? Will I admire my courage, facing life for the first time? Will I denounce my optimism as naivety? Will I grow nostalgic for the simpler time that I can only assume this will seem to have been? Will I mock my open heart, my frivolity, my presumed adulthood? Time will tell.
For now, I look impatiently forward to the next memorable moment of my life.
Katie May

No comments: