Friday, March 21, 2008

The Birds

It was a phenomenon. Hundreds of crows, literally at least 200 crows. It was about 9:30 Friday night, I was working at the video store. A customer came in and was browsing around for a while. He asked if we had seen the birds. Naturally, working in a video store, I assumed that he meant the old Hitchcock flick. Of course, I love that movie. No, I mean the birds outside, he replied. Huh? I inquired, oh so eloquently. You can even hear them inside here, Matt piped in. We stepped outside to have a gander. Surely enough, there they were. The sky was quite accommodating to the sight. A full moon, partially blocked out by eerie clouds set the perfect stage to give these creatures an added boost over the intimidating presence lent to them already by their sheer numbers. It was a scene right out of that old Hitchcock film. Why they are here I can honestly say, I don't know. Perhaps a bad omen, or hopefully a good one. Some of you may be thinking, well, she is an aspiring writer, but I assure you, this is no made up story. You should have heard the sound as they all descended upon the bare branches of the trees. The flapping of their wings against one another, in conjunction with the sounds of the branches bending under their weight. I cannot even describe it here. And then it was silent.

No comments: